A properly functioning, healthy body is a gift. Something to be valued and taken great care of. However, it is a sad fact of life that you never truly appreciate good health until its gone… Fortunately, if this is you, and disease or pain has robbed you, there are powerful supplements and superfoods to help accelerate your journey back to wellness.
Here are our top 10:
- Astaxanthin (pronounced as-ta-zan-thin): Illness and inflammation typically go hand in hand which is why we often recommend Astaxanthin. It has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, without any negative side effects that accompany your typical over-the-counter (OTC) medications. Astaxanthin is also very beneficial for the eyes, brain, central nervous system, skin, immune system, and enhancing sports recovery.
- Green Powders: Disease and pain are often caused by basic malnutrition or a deficiency of a specific nutrient. Green powders are nutrient dense superfood supplements that deliver a complex array of nutrients in a bioavailable format. The ingredients are often made up of organic vegetables, algaes, probiotics, and enzymes. Daily consumption of these superfood formulations is superior in regenerating and maintaining your health.
- Reishi (Medicinal Mushrooms) is one of the most revered herbs in traditional Chinese Medicine, and for good reason! It is a highly adaptogenic and balancing herb, which significantly improves the body’s ability to handle stress, and thus enhances immune function.
- Colloidal Silver is one of nature’s most powerful antibiotics that exerts a positive effect on the immune system when taken internally. Colloidal silver is anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal, enhances the healing process, can restore diseased cells back to normality and is able to combat a variety of serious life threatening illnesses.
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is rich in enzymes which helps promote healthy bacteria, which in turn helps promote proper digestion. Another benefit is it’s ability to rid your body of unhealthy gut biofilm. An unhealthy gut biofilm prevents absorption of nutrients, protects disease causing micro-organisms from the immune system and antibiotics and antifungals, promotes inflammation, and houses toxins like heavy metals. Apple cider vinegar helps break through this unhealthy biofilm so you can properly absorb the nutrients you are ingesting, and get at any unwanted pathogens that may be causing you pain and suffering. ACV is particularly effective in the fight against candida overgrowth and parasitic infections.
- Colostrum has incredible immune-balancing benefits. It contains a rich array of nutrients, including growth factors, lipidic and glucidic factors, oligosaccharides, antimicrobials, cytokines and nucleosides. These compounds help balance and stabilize the immune system, increase energy, reduce inflammation, promote normal cell growth, DNA synthesis, fat utilization and increased mental acuity. Other benefits include improved gut stability and nutrient absorption.
- Vitamin D3 is a critical nutrient for optimal health. With sufficient levels, the body can produce its own natural antibiotic (cathelicidin) which engulfs and destroys unwanted intruders. D3 also helps regulate any immune system imbalances as well as improves general function. It is synthesized in the body through regular sun exposure. Unfortunately, deficiency is extremely common; leading to serious health problems that impair the development and stability of the immune system, the skeletal-muscle system, the nervous system and the endocrine system. Get your vitamin D3 status checked with regular blood tests before you supplement.
- Probiotics help colonize your gut with friendly bacteria which is required for optimal digestion and balancing your inner ecosystem. Often an impaired gastrointestinal system is at the core of most health issues therefore supplementing with high-dose, quality probiotics can dramatically improve your immunity. Also when it comes to infection, probiotics also are your first line of defense. They help keep the gut and intestinal tract free of disease-causing germs as well as help detoxify the liver.
- Turmeric (curcumin). A healthy liver promotes a healthy immune system. The liver lymphocyte population is enriched in macrophages called Kupffer cells which play a key role by capturing and digesting bacteria, fungi, parasites, worn-out blood cells, and cellular debris. Turmeric supports and improves liver function. Turmeric also dramatically reduces inflammation, (the root of all serious disease), as well as improves the behaviour of cellular membranes, making the cells more resistant to infection and malignancy. It even protects against radiation and exhibits strong anti-cancer properties.
- Vitamin C provides multi-layered immune system support. It optimizes the function of natural killer (NK) cells, which are basically the “hit men” of the immune system, that track and destroy tumour cells and other invaders. Vitamin C also enhances the functioning of neutrophils, lymphocytes and antibodies. Neutrophils fight bacterial infection by locating, engulfing and destroying the pathogen as well as cleaning up their oxidizing molecules. Lymphocytes produce antibodies in the immune system and assist in guiding other immune cells toward threats. Antibodies in the immune system assist in identifying and destroying invaders such as cancerous cells. The presence of vitamin C helps to raise antibody immunoglobulin levels to protect against infections. Our body cannot manufacture vitamin C on its own; so it must be obtained externally. That is why proper nutrition and supplementation is so important to ensuring optimal amounts.
Please note that improving your health requires an overall lifestyle change, not just the addition of supplements (as amazing as they are). The goal is to enjoy life to its fullest, being mentally, spiritually and physically strong. THRIVE, not survive!