Allergies are common, yes, but they are not normal. Suffering with allergies is not something that you have to endure. There is hope! Allergies can be easily treated, easily managed and even totally eliminated if you just know how.
First, let us understand what an allergy is exactly…
An allergy is an adverse immune system reaction to a normally benign substance. This hypersensitivity then causes the body to respond by producing symptoms (sneezing, itching, wheezing, etc). An allergy therefore, is not an illness, rather, it is a red flag that your body needs attention.
The 2 most common causes of allergies
- Leaky gut: Also known as intestinal permeability, is a condition in which the lining of the digestive tract becomes inflamed and porous, allowing undigested foods, bacteria, yeasts, and other toxins into the bloodstream. The immune system launches an attack on these toxins, which creates inflammation throughout the body. For many people, this happens every time they eat. This inflammation manifests in different ways for different people. It can cause joint pain, skin problems, digestive issues, autoimmune disease, impaired brain function, fatigue, chronic pain, and…allergies.
- Stress: Chronic stress depresses the immune system. It also weakens and inflames the digestive tract, causing leaky gut and allergies. It is important to note that ‘stress’ doesn’t just come from a stressful lifestyle or lack of sleep (although those certainly play a role). Eating a diet high in sugar and processed foods is stressful to the body, as is an unmanaged autoimmune disease, hormones that are out of whack, or even over-exercising.
Address the underlying issue
The key to allergy elimination is to determine and address the underlying cause of your allergies – be it stress, leaky gut or perhaps something else. Then, with the appropriate treatment, you CAN change your response to allergens permanently i.e. never suffer with allergies again!
Seek holistic treatment
Everyone is different and should be treated as such. A holistic approach to health understands that an allergy is a susceptibility that an individual has based on a multitude of factors unique to them. Your trusted health care provider therefore should be able to help you identify the root cause of your allergies as well as provide you with an individualized treatment plan: A plan that takes into consideration diet, digestive function, hormones, immune system health, genetics, and lifestyle.
In the meantime, here a few general recommendations that will benefit all allergy sufferers;
Diet and Lifestyle recommendations
- Eat REAL food. Eat whole food that is fresh, comes from local farms and small markets, food that is unprocessed, unpackaged, nutrient dense, organic and in its natural form.
- Cut the CRAP. i.e. caffeine, refined sugar, alcohol and processed food – these are all inflammatory foods. It is also a good idea to eliminate other problematic food groups such as gluten (wheat and grains), dairy, eggs and legumes.
- Cook your meals at home and prepare food from scratch. Trust me, the time and effort will be worth it!
- Use the whole animal. Make mineral-rich broths from the bones, render the fat for cooking, and eat everything including the nutrient-dense organ meats.
- Eat mindfully. Eat real food but only when you are truly hungry, according to your body’s needs and cravings. Fad diets, food marketing, calorie counting, food rules and other detrimental dieting habits just add more stress to our lives and can potentially impair metabolism.
- Go natural wherever possible. Use medication only if absolutely necessary and save the doctor visits for real illnesses or accidental injuries. If you get a fever – wait it out, if you feel sick – drink soups and broths and get lots of rest. Be patient and trust in your body’s natural healing process.
- Spend lots of time outside. We live in a beautiful world so enjoy it. Take your shoes off, move your body, swim in the ocean, climb trees and soak up the sun. Mother nature is the original play-station so play!
- Enjoy life. Don’t overcomplicate things. Do the things you love with the people you love. Invest in your mental, physical and spiritual well-being.
Uh… and what do these recommendations have to do with allergies you may wonder!? Health is holistic. It is the result of a good diet and balanced lifestyle. A truly healthy person simply will not suffer from allergies.
The following 5 nutrients are our top choices to help eliminate allergies once and for all;
- Vitamin C significantly reduces histamine in the blood, so it’s a great idea to take for allergies.
- Quercetin is a naturally occurring flavanoid that has potent histamine-lowering and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vitamin D is the one nutrient that most people don’t get enough of. Deficiency severely impairs immunity, increases inflammation and exacerbates allergies. Get your levels tested and supplement appropriately.
- MSM is a powerful anti-inflammatory that provides natural relief from pain caused by allergies (without the drowsy side-effects)
- Probiotics play a large role in immune function. When the bad bacteria overwhelm the good, inflammation and allergies result. Leaky gut repair includes nurturing your beneficial bacteria with probiotics and fermented foods to improve allergy symptoms.
Final Points: Allergies are not normal if our bodies are healthy. Therefore, understand what’s causing your allergies, treat appropriately then go back to basics: Eat a good diet, live a balanced lifestyle and use the correct supplementation to support total body health!