This calming cashew, chamomile and vanilla smoothie recipe is both gluten-free and sugar-free.
- 1/3 cup steeped chamomile tea, cooled
- 1 extra chamomile and vanilla tea bag
- 300ml plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 pre-peeled, frozen bananas, chopped
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 dash pure non-irradiated cinnamon
1T pure whey protein isolate powder (ideally organic, unsweetened and unflavoured)
1 tsp raw honey or 1T xylitol or 1T erythritol or 1 – 3 organic dates (for added sweetness)
- Steep the chamomile tea for at least 2-5 minutes. Stick the tea into the fridge to cool for approximately ten minutes.
- Pour the cooled tea into your blender.
- Open up the extra chamomile and vanilla tea bag, and then empty this into the blender.
- Add all the other ingredients in to the blender.
- Blend the mix until smooth. Add in the optional extras if desired.
- Inhale the sweet smell of your delicious smoothie. Drink, sip and relax – and then repeat!
Tips for the Perfect Smoothie:
- When freezing bananas, always slice them rather thinly or chop them into smaller pieces, so that they blend easily.
- To save time, simply use 1/3 cup water in place of 1/3 cup steeped and cooled tea.
The Health Benefits of Chamomile
Chamomile is a wonderfully soothing plant – as well as being quite a pretty plant too. As a tea or supplement, it promotes relaxation and feelings of drowsiness at bedtime. If you are struggling to wind down at night and fall asleep, try some of this tea before you head to the drug store for something stronger!
It also has anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety, and anti-depressive properties, all stemming from it’s calmative nature. Because of these calmative and antioxidant properties, chamomile is also found to be very effective in soothing skin irritation and eczema.