This coconut, carrot & cumin soup recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and also sugar-free.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (ideally preservative-free)
- 6 cups carrots, unpeeled and roughly chopped (preferably organic)
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3½ cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp paprika*
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp ground coriander*
- 1½ tsp ground cumin*
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
*ideally non-irradiated and/or organic
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot, and then add the onions, garlic, ginger and some Himalayan salt.
- Cook on a medium heat for about 7 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, and then cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, and then the coconut milk.
- Add in the cumin, paprika, coriander and chilli flakes.
- Put a lid on the pot and cook until the carrots are softened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When carrots are soft, blend the soup in batches in a high powered blender, or use an immersion hand blender and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and more chilli flakes, if desired.