This decadent dark chocolate smoothie is dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and soy-free.
- 125ml water (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao, heaped
- Ice to thicken
- 1 Tbsp rice milk powder, heaped
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 1 tsp xylitol *
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 30g / 1 scoop pure whey protein powder
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 Banana, frozen and chopped
1. Add all of the ingredients (except ice) into a power blender, and then blend until smooth.
2. Add enough ice to thicken, then blend again.
* For a sweeter taste, then simply add some more xylitol
Benefits of Dark Chocolate
Good quality, pure dark chocolate (made with cacao – the unprocessed form of cocoa powder) is rich in fiber, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese and a few other ingredients. Raw cacao is also rich in antioxidants, and has even more antioxidants than most fruits! The bioactive contents in raw cacao may also help to lower blood pressure. There are a whole host of other benefits of this superfood, which are well backed by the science. For the full run down on the science behind dark chocolate, click here to read an article by Authority Nutrition.