Spring has sprung! Which means it’s time to give your body a thorough internal spring clean. Here are 7 areas of the body to focus on and which supplements Lifestyle Health recommends to support effective detoxification:
Cleanse, rejuvenate and improve liver function with the following supplements:
- Milk Thistle helps to eliminate the buildup of heavy metals, prescription medications, environmental pollutants, and alcohol in the liver. The active ingredient silymarin helps to strengthen the cell walls in the liver, while supporting healthy regeneration.
- Liquorice enhances the function of the liver as well as provides protection from toxic damage.
- Turmeric is a powerful natural antioxidant that supports healthy liver tissue and liver metabolism.
- Taurine is an amino acid that is required by the liver for the removal of toxic chemicals from the body.
- Beetroot Powder supports liver detoxification, improves liver function and enhances the metabolism of fats within the liver.
- Chlorella is naturally high in chlorophyll, which is well known for its potent internal detoxing and chelating properties, assisting the body in the removal of toxins.
- Dandelion Root has a natural diuretic effect, allowing your liver to eliminate toxins more quickly.
The gallbladder functions as a storage unit for the bile produced by the liver. Support gallbladder detox with the following:
- Dandelion Root enhances gallbladder function and has cleansing properties.
- Beetroot powder enhances bile flow.
- Omega 3 fish oils reduce the formation of gallstones by enhancing bile flow and blocking cholesterol formation in the bile.
- Guar gum decreases cholesterol levels – a primary goal of gallstone treatment.
- Vitamin C. Low levels are associated with the development of gallstones.
- Lecithin, a phospholipid that reduces the saturation of cholesterol in bile that leads to stone formation as well as improves bile flow.
- Artichoke contains caffeylquinic acids, which promote bile flow.
Our kidneys filter the blood that circulates through our bodies, separating out water and waste products of metabolism from the blood and excreting them through the urinary tract. Support kidney detox with the following:
- Burdock Root gently supports the flushing of unwanted toxins from the kidneys.
- Aloe Vera Juice is great for kidney cleansing.
- Vitamin B-6 helps prevent the formation of calcium oxalate.
Vitamin C supports the kidneys and helps keep them clear of kidney stones, especially urate stones which form as a result of uric acid crystal deposits
- Magnesium lowers urinary oxalate, which is a mineral salt.
- Uva Ursi (bearberry) soothes and tones the urinary tract and supports kidney cleansing.
- Horsetail is a common weed with antioxidant and diuretic properties. It’s helpful for increasing urine output to flush the kidneys and urinary tract.
Disease usually begins with a toxic bowel. Give your colon a good cleanse by supplementing with the following:
- Aloe ferox is renowned for its remarkable natural colon cleansing benefits. The main active ingredient is the anthraquinone, aloe-emodin, which works as an effective natural laxative and colon cleanser.
- Psyllium provides fibre to support bowel function and regularity.
- Bentonite clay absorbs water to form a gel. It binds toxins in the body and helps to carry them out of the colon.
- Flaxseeds absorb water and expand in the colon, allowing toxins and mucus to be removed.
- Apple pectin is a gel forming fibre which binds onto toxins supporting their excretion.
- Pau d’arco is an amazing anti-candida herb that nourishes the body’s defense system and helps protect against pathogenic organisms.
- Slippery elm bark draws out impurities and toxins. Slippery elm’s coating action soothes the irritated tissues of the intestines, colon, and urinary tract, as well as stomach ulcers.
- Licorice root stimulates the production of digestive fluids and bile, soothes ulcers, helps reduce intestinal inflammation, and improves blood supply to the intestinal lining.
- L-Glutamine helps heal damaged gut lining.
* Probiotics: After a thorough colon cleanse it is essential to supplement with high dose probiotics to help replenish the population of friendly bacteria which resides in your colon.
It is important to cleanse the blood to help eliminate systemic pathogens, remove toxic residues, stimulate the lymph system (which is essential for keeping your blood clean), and assist the immune system with breaking down cancerous cells.
- Red Clover is an excellent blood purifier that over time gradually cleanses the bloodstream and corrects deficiencies in the circulatory system
- Burdock root cleanses the blood by increasing the effectiveness of all the body’s elimination systems. It’s diuretic effect helps the kidneys filter impurities from the blood.
- Cayenne is extremely beneficial for the circulatory system, helping to improve the elasticity of the walls of both the arterial and venous systems, maintain normal blood platelet function, and to help regulate blood pressure.
In order to function optimally, the lungs need clean air. Stop smoking and avoid environmental pollutants. Also avoid inhaling respiratory irritants such as hair spray and artificial fragrances. The following supplements encourage lung detox:
- Oregano contains carvacrol and rosmarinic acid. Both compounds are natural decongestants and histamine reducers that have direct, positive benefits on the respiratory tract and nasal passage airflow.
- Lobelia contains an alkaloid known as lobeline, which thins mucus, breaks up congestion. It helps relax smooth muscles and allows for easier breathing.
- N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) improves lung function, eliminates mucus and opens up the airways.
- Serrapeptase enzymes are very powerful enzymes capable of eating up scar tissue, heavily calcified tissue or hardened mucus deposits.
The lymph system is the body’s mechanism to wash tissues of toxins, passing them back into the bloodstream to be cleansed by the liver and kidneys.
- Cleavers enhances the function of the lymphatic system and decreases congestion and inflammation in the tissues. This herb improves the capacity of the lymphatic system to deal with toxins.
- Astragalus is an excellent lymphatic system cleanser. It helps alleviate congestion and swelling in the body.
- Echinacea combines well with astragalus to lessen congestion and swelling in the lymphatic system.
To maximise the effectiveness of the aforementioned detoxification supplements please apply these simple food and lifestyle recommendations:
- Eat real food.
- Avoid all processed food, artificial additives, preservatives and sweeteners.
- Cut out sugar, gluten and dairy.
- Drink 1-2 litres of pure filtered water daily – especially when increasing dietary fibre.
- Reduce intake of stimulants and toxins such as caffeine, cigarettes, alcohol and drugs.
- Do not overeat.
- Eat when relaxed, and take your time, chewing food well.
- Avoid having large amounts of fluid with meals.
- Do some gentle exercise and practice meditation or deep breathing.
Note: Always check with your trusted health care practitioner before taking any new supplements, especially if you are on medication.
Have a happy healthy day!