Let them eat (pan)cakes! We love flapjacks or pancakes and have experimented with a number of different recipes over the years. We believe that we have a pancake recipe variation for every dietary requirement, so here are our favourite 6 easy recipes for flapjacks or pancakes.
Since all of the preparation methods will be the same (unless otherwise indicated), we’ve simply put the ingredients and serving suggestion under each recipe. See the end of the recipes for the simple method.
1. 2 Ingredient Banana Pancakes
This simple recipe is great for mum’s with very little time to cook a breakfast for their little ones.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, Free from Added Sugar.
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 2 eggs (whisked)
2. 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Flapjacks
If you’re a lover of peanut butter, this one’s for you.
Gluten-Free, Rich in Fibre, Free from Added Sugar.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 heaped tbsp peanut butter
Serving Suggestion: add a tbsp. of greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt), a drizzle of peanut butter, and a sprinkle of frozen raspberries.
3. 2 Ingredient Cream Cheese Flapjacks
These are deliciously thin and delicate, and probably closer to a crepe.
Gluten-free, Vegetarian, Low Carb.
- Approx. 1/2 cup or 125g plain cream cheese
- 4 eggs
Serving Suggestions: add a sprinkle of cinnamon or vanilla and a drizzle of maple syrup or raw honey.
4. 4 Ingredient Protein Pancakes
For very active individuals needing extra protein, these are a great go-to.
Gluten-Free, Keto-friendly, Low Carb.
- 2 scoops Protein Powder (choose a plain or vanilla-flavoured one where possible)
- 2 eggs
- 90ml (approx. 6 tbsp) water or almond milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
Serving Suggestion: serve with some macadamia or almond nut butter and a sprinkle of cacao nibs.
5. Oat-Banana Flapjacks
For a good dose of fiber in the morning these flapjacks are perfect.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free and Free from added Sugar.
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 banana
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey (optional)
- pinch of salt
6. Vegan Almond Nut Butter Flapjacks
Whilst most recipes can be adapted to become vegan by substituting the eggs for a flax or chia “egg” (1 tbsp flax/chia seeds + 3 tbsp water = 1 “egg”), here’s one where you don’t need to make substitutions.
Gluten-free, Vegan, Free from Added Sugar.
- 1 banana
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
Serving Suggestion: serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and some almond nut butter.
Easy Method (For All of the Flapjacks or Pancakes Recipes)
- Blend/Mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Heat some coconut oil/ cooking spray/ butter in a frying pan over med-high heat.
- Spoon approx. 2 tbsp at a time to form relatively small flapjacks (especially for the banana pancakes) or make larger, thinner pancakes if preferred.
- Cook for about 1 – 2 mins before flipping over and cooking the other side until golden brown.
Optional extras to all of the above recipes may include baking powder (for fluffier pancakes), salt, vanilla, cacao powder (chocolate flapjacks – yum!), raw honey, chopped nuts, granola, protein powder, oats, or chopped fresh fruit such as berries.