These Golden Oat Coconut Crunchies make the perfect accompaniment to your cup of tea this winter.
- 180g butter / coconut oil
- 2 cups whole gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut syrup / honey / date syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Combine the dry ingredients (minus the bicarbonate).
- Melt the butter and syrup in a small pot.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the butter and syrup and stir until it froths.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and gently combine.
- Flatten the mixture onto a lined, medium sized baking tin.
- Bake for 25 mins, or until golden brown.
- Allow the mixture to cool and harden before cutting into squares and serving.
If you want a Vegan Golden Oat Coconut Crunchies option, use coconut oil in place of the butter.
Make it even lower in carbohydrates by swapping coconut sugar for one of the following:
Substitute using 1:1 ratio i.e. 1 cup xylitol to 1 cup sugar. NB – These sugar substitutes melt in high heat, and unlike sugar/honey/maple syrup/coconut sugar, they don’t caramelize. They also have a tendency to absorb more moisture, making your recipes dry out a bit quicker. To combat this, remove the crunchies from the oven a bit earlier than called for.
Sweetness will vary from brand to brand, so you may need to follow instructions on the packaging in order to substitute.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy one of these: