Here is a healthier alternative to traditional chocolate fudge that is every bit as delicious and easy to make! Serve this up as a healthy dessert or treat.
(Paleo, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free)
Chocolate Fudge Ingredients:
- 1 cup organic coconut oil
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 cup nut butter (cashew or macadamia nut butter are especially nice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt together the coconut oil and honey.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend till smooth.
- Pour into moulds and refrigerate until set.
Benefits of Raw Cacao
Firstly, let us address the difference between cacao and cocoa. Cacao is the unprocessed powder made from the cocoa bean, whilst in regular cocoa powder and chocolate the beans have been roasted and chemically processed. This destroys a large amount of the antioxidants and flavonols naturally found in cocoa beans. Between 60 – 90% of the antioxidants found in cocoa are lost through traditional “Dutch processing”. Isn’t that scary? Dutch processing was designed to reduce the bitterness and darken the colour, but sadly wiped out the good stuff too. Typically regular cocoa powder has also been treated heavily with pesticides and fumigation chemicals. Furthermore it may even contain genetically modified products.
So to jump ahead to the good stuff, Organic Raw Cacao:
- Has over 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries.
- Has a rich supply of 4 scientifically proven “bliss” chemicals, namely serotonin, dopamine, anandamide and phenylethylamine.
- (Cue Wow-Factor music) has more calcium than cow’s milk, at 160mg per 100g vs only 125mg per 100ml of milk.
- Holds the title of the highest plant-based source of iron!
- Also holds the title of one of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium.