Kombucha is a fantastic way to supplement your probiotic intake and is very easy to prepare. The SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) is responsible for the fermentation process. This converts the tea solution into a carbonated beverage rich in B vitamins, enzymes and probiotics.
- 1 large glass jar
- 1 material cloth plus elastic band
- 8 cups of water
- 1 SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria & yeast)
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 4 organic black tea bags/ 4 Tbsp black tea (you can also use organic green tea)
- 1 cup of readymade Kombucha (from the Theonista Kombucha Kit)
- In a large pot, dissolve the sugar into the water, add the tea bags and brew over medium heat (no longer than 20 minutes).
- Allow the tea mixture to cool fully.
- Place the tea mixture into the glass jar with the SCOBY and Kombucha solution.
- Cover the jar opening with the cloth and secure it with the elastic band.
- Allow the jar to stand at room temperature, away from direct sunlight, for 7 – 10 days. This time allows for adequate fermentation. The longer the drink is allowed to ferment, the stronger the final solution, and the more sour the taste.
- Once Kombucha has reached your desired taste level, take 3/4 of the liquid and place it into a storage bottle or jar for consumption.
- Replace the 3/4 of the liquid with another cooled tea solution for your second batch of Kombucha.
*All of the ingredients (minus the tea and water) are included in the handy kit from Theonista sold at Lifestyle Health.
**If you have every item above except for the SCOBY and readymade Kombucha, there is an active group on Facebook where people share their extra SCOBYs here: Culture Exchange South Africa