This Curried Green Lentil Soup recipe is sugar-free, dairy-free and gluten-free.
- 2T coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1T fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, soaked and rinsed
- Himalayan salt
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot over a medium heat, and then fry the onions with 1 tsp himalayan salt until they become translucent.
- Next, add garlic and ginger and cook these until soft.
- Next, add the spices, stirring for a minute or 2.
- Add in the tomato and cook for another minute. Then add in the stock and lentils.
- Bring the mix to the boil, and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the vegetables, and simmer for a further 10 to 15 mins until vegetables and lentils are tender. You may need to add more water/stock.
- Once cooked soft, remove from the stove top and then puree the soup in a blender.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup topped with fresh chopped coriander.
Benefits of Lentils
Although these powerhouses are often overlooked, lentils are packed with nutrition. They are a good source of both vitamins and minerals. Lentils are a rich source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin and vitamin K. They are particularly rich in dietary fiber, lean protein, folate and iron. Lentils are one of the easiest legumes to prepare as they don’t require a prolonged soaking time. Some individuals may experience flatulence and abdominal discomfort when first introducing legumes into their diet. It is therefore recommended to introduce legumes in smaller portions initially, slowly increasing this over time.