We all could do with a bowl of muesli happiness to start the day. How about enjoying a healthy cacao (raw chocolate – yum) flavoured one?
This muesli is sugar-free and dairy-free.
- 1 1/3 Cup rolled oats
- 1T coconut oil, you may need more depending
- 2T xylitol
- 2T raw honey*
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 2tsps raw cacao powder (you can omit this if you don’t want a chocolate flavour)
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup each pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds
- ½ cup raw almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup raw cacao nibs
- 1 handful of Goji berries/any dried fruit (optional)
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
* You can substitute this with 2T’s of xylitol for a more diabetic-friendly version.
- Preheat the oven to 130˚C.
- Melt the coconut oil and honey together in a small saucepan, until the mix is thin and runny.
- Combine the rolled oats, cinnamon, xylitol, cacao and salt in a bowl. Pour over the melted coconut oil/honey mixture. Use a spoon to mix well. The mixture should be well coated, without clumping together.
- Spread the muesli mix evenly over a baking tray or two and bake at 130˚C for 90mins. Take care not to let the mix darken/cook too much.
- Allow the muesli to cool, and then mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Store the muesli in an airtight container.
- Finally, to serve simply add some almond nut milk or Greek yogurt.
Benefits of ROLLED OATS:
Oats are rich in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber fills you up so that you feel fuller for longer, which in turn helps with weight loss, as well as sustained energy for your day. Oats are also heart protective, immune boosting, cholesterol lowering, blood sugar stabilizing, and rich in antioxidants. Furthermore, oats are high in the minerals manganese, selenium, phosphorus, iron, thiamin, and magnesium.
Overall, most people will benefit from including these in their diet. Although oats might be considered higher in carbohydrates, remember that the high fiber content means that you do not get a big rush of absorbable glucose released into your bloodstream. They will not cause a blood sugar spike or trigger a large insulin secretion – so you are safe!
SOME FINAL TIPS FOR YOUR MUESLI
- Make a bigger batch of the muesli, and then store it in large Mason Jars. This will really ensure that your muesli can last you a long time.
- Blend the cacao muesli into your morning smoothie, and then enjoy as a crunchy, delicious, breakfast-on-the-go.