Here’s a healthy take on your typical coleslaw which, in our opinion, tastes better too!
(paleo, low carb, dairy free, gluten free, sugar free)
1/2 head green cabbage, sliced thinly
1/4 head purple cabbage, sliced thinly
2 carrots, grated
100g flaked almonds, toasted
handful of organic raisins/goji berries (optional)
1 cup macadamia nut oil
1 large organic egg, room temperature
juice of half a lemon
2 tsps wholegrain mustard
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp mixed herbs
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Add all the ingredients to a glass jar and let them sit for a few seconds, just long enough for the egg to settle comfortably at the bottom of the jar, underneath the oil.
- Insert an immersion blender and push it all the way down until it makes contact with the bottom of the jar.
- Push the power button and do not move the blender for a full 20 seconds. Almost instantly, the oil will start to emulsify and turn creamy and thick, slowly making its way all the way to the top of the jar.
- After 20 seconds, the transformation should be pretty much complete, so start moving your blender around and up and down just to make sure that every last bit of oil gets well incorporated.
- Add all coleslaw ingredients, except almonds, into a large bowl.
- Add mayo and mix well to combine.
- Just before serving, top with toasted almonds.