In terms of fermented foods, sauerkraut is definitely one of the tastiest and easiest to make! Chock full of digestive enzymes and beneficial bacteria, regular consumption is a great way to keep your gut healthy.
(Paleo, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Low-Carb)
- 1 cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 Tbsp caraway seeds
- 2 Tbsps sea salt
- ½ cup whey*
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and pound to release the juices. This takes a little work and some patience.
- Spoon into a mason jar and using the pounder press down until juices come to the top of the cabbage and cover it. Make sure you get a good centimetre of juices sitting above the cabbage otherwise mould grows, ruining the whole lot.
- Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before refrigerating.
* To make whey: Purchase some good quality plain yoghurt (with active live cultures). Using a washed and unbleached piece of cloth, scoop out the yoghurt, tie it and hang it up to drip. The strained liquid is the whey. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator until needed.