This sumptuous sweetcorn & butterbean soup recipe is both gluten-free and sugar-free.
Serves: 3 – 4
- 3 sliced leeks
- 25g butter
- 1T olive oil
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 4 corn cobs
- 1 can butterbeans, drained
- 2T plain yogurt
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ avocado
- Salt & pepper to taste
For garnish: fresh coriander and chilli flakes
- Place the sliced baby leeks, butter, olive oil and cloves crushed garlic in a large saucepan over a medium to low heat. Gently fry these until soft and fragrant.
- Remove the kernels from the corn cobs and add to the pan. Fry this up for 5 minutes.
- Add in the drained butterbeans.
- Pour over enough chicken stock to cover both the corn and butterbeans.
- Allow to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the corn is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add in the yogurt and avocado, and then blend until smooth.
- Season the soup to taste.
- Garnish the soup with fresh coriander and some chilli flakes (for a bit of heat!).
Benefits of Sweetcorn
Sweetcorn is high in antioxidants as well as being rich in vitamin B1, vitamin B5, vitamin C, phosphorus, manganese, folate and dietary fibre. Folate is effective in lowering the homocysteine levels in the body, which in turn helps protect the body from heart attacks, strokes and peripheral vascular disease. In addition, the yellow colour of sweet corn is due to the antioxidant zeaxanthin. Consumption of zeaxanthin can have a protective effect against age-related eye diseases such as macular degeneration.