Not happy with the ingredients of your typical store-bought pre-marinaded kebabs? Why not make your own? Here is a quick and easy recipe for a marinade with good wholesome ingredients that tastes delicious! What’s more, once you’ve marinaded your kebabs, there’ll be enough left over to store as a chutney.
(gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free)
- 1 cup tamarind paste
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 250ml or 1 cup xylitol
- 200g dates, pitted
- 3 Tbsps coconut oil
- 3 Tbsps apple cider vinegar
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- Heat the coconut oil, then add the cinnamon and cloves and allow to splutter.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add dates, water and tamarind paste and mix well. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low then add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook until the consistency of the marinade is thick. Remove from the heat.
- Scoop out cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf then blend marinade with an immersion blender.
- Use to marinade chicken kebabs or serve as a chutney with curry.